like ore in the crucible, i subject the song fu entries to a modern-day refiners fire: the rating system on my iPod. as each song plays i use the star ratings to indicate my enjoyment of the song, then periodically remove all songs with a 2 or lower.
after culling once, i have just replayed the playlist and so far have the following thoughts regarding this round;
- the entries which didn't opt for the more obvious takes on "a happy song" in terms of content didn't amuse me, however songs without the word "happy" or derivatives in the title were more successful (mostly)
- often i find with song fu, everyone is angling for a comedic song as well, often to the detriment of the songwriting quality. in this round its clear that those aiming just for pure happy hit the mark better than those attempting to be silly, funny or put a spin on the happy song idea. i'm looking at you audiomohel. personally i think avoiding the phrase "butt-rape" might have been a better idea, imho
- apparently kazoos and ukeleles really say "happy song" well
- i voted for paul & storm from the masters selection, assuming that neil innes would be winning, because i want to ensure they made it to the next round simply so i can get another song out of them only to find out they were kicking everyone else's proverbial! go P & S!
- having said that, neil's song sounds far more like a sad song to me... a nice one but a sad one nonetheless
- mostly i think molly has this one in the bag, although crabbydad's schnappi-esque entry is so gosh-darn infectious that i can't stop playing it! molly's song is a bit more clever though and i also can't get it out of my head.
- hallelujah ape's song has a strong beatles feel to it which i can't help but enjoy, but third place is going to the mike lombardo trio's sweet song: "me and caroline."
- there were 2 muppet moments for me, the kazoo solo in molly's song reminded me of ma-na-ma-na near the end and storm's singing on "hippie with a djembe" had just a hint of muppet to it. not the first time that comment has been made either! i'm sure he is confident enough in his vocal abilities not to be bothered by it!
so i have my top three votes, and am left with 4 songs fighting it out for the last 2 votes... what to do?